A clink here, a clank there: AC problems are easy to ignore. That is, until the day you come home to a thunderstorm of gear-grinding motor wear. Failing to fix slight AC issues at their beginning is like wearing a raincoat with holes – eventually the storm will find a way in.
Enjoying your AC’s cold front? Then don’t ignore the need for repair. We’ve got a forecast for your AC’s future that could get cloudy – and complicated – if you don’t resolve these small snags when they start.
1. Clangs and Jangles
While it may sound like your AC is performing a ragtag dance number, these jingles may point to something more serious. If you hear the clanging of metal on metal, it’s probably more than a temporary “tap dance” – your AC is gearing up for a grand finale.
- The Likely Problem: an unbalanced or damaged AC fan. These sounds usually start when the blades become bent or warped.
- The No-Fix Forecast: You may end up replacing more than a broken fan. The unruly blades could also damage other objects inside the unit. You’ll need a trained AC technician to straighten out the twisted blades.
2. Drips and Drops
Remember the holes in the raincoat analogy? Well, there’s no greater way to unleash a “storm” than to let a liquid trickle turn into a flood. If you hear a dripping sound or notice visible signs of a leak, it’s time to act fast.
- The Likely Problem: a refrigerant leak. Additional marks of this issue include ice formations along the unit’s indoor coils and poor overall cooling power.
- The No-Fix Forecast: Ultimately, the unchecked leak will kill your AC’s cool. As ice continues to build on the coils, the compressor will be damaged and the unit will eventually fail to produce cool air. You’ll need a professional to find the leak and seal it to avoid a total breakdown.
3. Squeaks and Shrieks
No, that’s (hopefully) not a mouse in your AC unit. That mechanical screeching signals a plague of a different sort. If you hear squeaks or shrieks, you may be overdue for AC maintenance.
- The Likely Problem: a worn out motor. You’ll hear a screeching noise coming from the AC cabinet. The noises typically start when the motor accumulates too much dust due to lack of lubrication and regular maintenance.
- The No-Fix Forecast: a burnt-out unit that makes way for one hot home. If a technician doesn’t clean or grease the motor, before long your unit will require a brand new one – which is why it’s essential to keep up with consistent AC care.
Staying up-to-date on regular AC maintenance is key to a cool breeze. Do you procrastinate when it comes to problems? Check out our EZ Breezy Club, and contact Easy AC today for more information on our low-cost AC tune-ups and Tampa AC repair.